Friday, December 10, 2010

A Meaningful Christmas

We've started a few new traditions this year, and so far they have been a lot of fun. Years and years ago I received a Christmas countdown book (more of a compilation of songs and stories) from my Aunt (I think). Anyway, there is a song to sing and a Christmas story to read everyday until Christmas Eve. It's funny because so far every story has been full of really bad typos, but somehow they still make us cry. My favorite is when Neil is reading the stories because he doesn't like to cry so he starts laughing his trying-not-to-cry-laugh. I love it. :)

I also saw another really cute activity on Sugardoodle.net, but of course can not find it for the life of me! I have the pdf's so I will see if I can post them, but I don't know if that is allowed. I'll keep looking. (I found it!: http://www.sugardoodle.net/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7004 . There is also this really cute service tree countdown: http://downloads.sugardoodle.net/ccalend.pdf  ).You print out the paper and cut it into strips. One strip for each day (they are numbered). And each day you do what it says on the paper. Most of them are a scripture to read with a question, some are songs to read, and a few are a story or other simple activity. This is a lot better suited for smaller children as it is quick and simple. Then after you do what it says on the paper you turn each slip into a link and make a chain that you can hang on your tree or on your wall, or whatever.


We've had our tree up for a while now, but all of our decorations are still in storage. So really all we have is a tree. lol. Well, and our chain that thankfully gets longer everyday. I printed it on cute Christmas-y scrapbook paper so it adds some decoration and spirit to the tree.

Since I have no idea when we'll get the decorations out, I've decided to make a few ornaments of my own. In the activity book that I have, there is one page that is The Meaning of Christmas. It's simply a list of the different Christmas items or symbols and their meanings. Click on the image for a larger view and you should be able to print it out if you want a copy.


I really liked this when we read it, and what each item means, so I'm making an ornament of each one to put on our tree and help us remember the meaning of Christmas.


I also want to make a pillow to put under the tree that says each item and what the meaning is, so it will be easy to remember if one forgets. ;) I'm almost done and will have a tutorial post up soon. Yippy!

I am also so close to finishing our tree skirt... though that will also be a different post. yikes. ;)

And then to finish all the other Christmas projects. I don't even finish one and yet I've already started 5 more. I don't know how this is supposed to work out. ;) lol. I've also learned that Christmas crafting = a VERY messy house! haha. At least this week has been a lot better than last week. I guess cleaning your house before crafting really helps out a lot. But still, I think it's impossible to have both.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I am sitting here rolling in laughter about a crafty clean house. I keep blaming it on a small house though. Oh well... Good luck with that.

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to comment. :)