Anyway, I want to keep a record of all the topics we cover and what we do. I'm a little embarrassed to share it, because I totally feel inadequate, but it will be good for me to remember, and maybe it will help inspire someone else?!? I think learning and teaching our children is SO important! And while I've been a total slacker in this area, my convictions are a lot stronger than my actions, and hopefully this will all change and I'll get better at it. :) Also, if anyone has any input I'm more than happy to hear what works for you! (just don't tell me what to do. or that I'm doing a bad job. lol. I don't want to hear any negative comments. lol) :)
I have a few topics I know I want to cover with them, like the body, clothing, food, chores/work/cleaning (yes, I have ulterior motives in this one.) Anyway, here's what today went like. (don't laugh).
- Did a few rounds of head, shoulders, knees and toes (to get their attention and get them involved for the rest of the time. Jackson finally started doing it with me. Hunter not as much, but a little bit at the end.) We did it slow and fast.
- ` (hunter wanted me to push that button). Next we talked about all the body parts. and looked for them on me or them. `
- ` Then we talked specifically about feet and searched for their feet. "One foot, two feet"
- We read the Foot Book by Dr. Seuss and talked about all the different feet, and acted some of them out, like fast feet, slow feet; high feet, low feet (they REALLY liked this one); up feet, down feet (Hunter and I went up and down the stairs); and I think there were some other things.
- We sang the alphabet song that Stacey taught me
- we sang a numbers song that I made up. I need to find one to sing.
- We talked about the number two. and all the body parts that we have two of. (interest was kind of dying down at this point, and I had to feed Mabel right here which didn't help either.)
- Then I did the hooky poky - also emphasizing body parts. They mostly just thought I was weird at this point. lol. :) It was fun though!
I think that might have been all. They stuck around for it all, but it was new and weren't used to it, and I could tell. Jackson Really liked the songs and got involved in them. Hunter really got involved in the reading and copying things in the book. Good things to remember for planning how to teach them things in the future. :)
All in all I think it went well, and I really look forward to next week! I'm getting some work boxes ready, so they can have some independent activities to do so I can have some one-on-one time with the other. I especially want to do "Learn to Read in 100 Easy Lessons" with Hunter. I also think Jackson will do really well with tracing letters and items in the notebooks I want to make for them.
Each week, or for however long I think we need to, we'll spotlight a letter and a number. Every day we'll do a little calendar thing and talk about the weather. We'll go through the alphabet and sing - I want to use the methods that Stacey showed me. I want to laminate some puzzles and a few other activities for them to have some hands on problem solving.
Hunter really loves looking at books, figuring things out, puzzles. He is definitely a science guy and I'd love to find some great activities and things to help him learn that way.
Jackson is more artsy I think. He is a fine skilled drawer, likes fun activities and playful learning (of course Hunter does too). Loves songs... and really I'm still trying to figure out his style.
Anyway, gotta run. Just wanted to record that so I wouldn't forget. :) I am going to try and do a quick little journal after every Learning Time. I probably won't update everyone on my other blog, but if you want to keep up with what we're doing, you can check back here. I will also show pictures of what we're doing, and the things we're using as we get more into it and I finish up some supplies. :) Good luck to me! heehee.
2 comments:
You are such a good mom! I love how you are so attentive to how they learn and what they react to and especially where their interests are different and need different types of activities. Can you please video tape your next lesson because I'll bet this one was REALLY funny to watch - espec. with you doing head and shoulders/hokey pokey all by yourself haha. :)
I love learning time. I've been doing it for a long time... but lately I feel like my ideas are kind of stagnant. I love the idea of doing weather and calendar every day - why didn't I think of that?? Probably comes from the fact that I taught upper grades instead of younger grades (they always do calendar stuff.... dumb of me to forget). :) Thanks for the idea. What websites have you found that you like?? I'd LOVE the links. I really want to spice up my learning time. I really liked your lesson on body parts - very well tied in with a lot of things. Clever. :)
Post a Comment
Thank you for visiting and taking the time to comment. :)