I stare into the years and years of the coming 12 years, times that by 4 kids and that equals too many hours of homework than I care to think about. Looking around right now at my 4 sick children, it hits me. Why didn't anyone slap me ac... que baby. (I didn't mean hit me literally. He threw up all over me not 5 seconds after I typed that last sentance. And I just gave him a bath right before writting this post too - he had poop down his leg. Yuck! Though it couldn't be more fitting for this post. Welcome to my world.) Now what was I saying? Oh yeah, why didn't someone slap me across the face and really make me realize what each child brings... more laundry, more dirty dishes, more homework, more toys to clean up, more drama, more sleepless nights... and the list goes on. Don't get me wrong, they are more than worth it! They bring so much joy, happiness, laughter, rewarding times, proud parent moments, eye opening experiences that let you enjoy a glimpse of heaven and God's amazing creations and love, and love in general, and so many other blessings that come with parenthood and having a family. I love it. And I dare say I would love to have more of these crazy rugrats running around my home (but not right now, please). I love them. My family is my greatest joy! They are worth all the effort and work and frustrations and whatever else. I wouldn't trade them for the world! But what I am saying is that this year, and probably mostly because we're all still adjusting to our recent move, it is hitting me harder than ever. I don't want more work. I want to play and be free. haha. (Makes me think of a punk song I used to listen to, "responsibility, what's that? Responsibility, now quite yet. I don't want to think about it...") Of corse I knew I'd be doing all these things. But realizing that the reality of it doesn't come with fluffy clouds and warm sing-song tones of compliance, brings a whole new meaning of motherhood.
Mothers of older children, I'm sure you've all hit this point before. I'm sure you're all chuckling inside and saying, "Just you wait...". Mothers with younger children, I'm sure you feel like you've hit this wall, but I will tell you, you will hit it again. Just as I'm sure I have many more walls of reality-checks to hit as my children grow and we reach new stages in our lives.
Now off to do more laundry, feed more hungry sick children, and dream of sneaking in a nap - for myself. ;)




No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for visiting and taking the time to comment. :)